If i correct a contempt charge on court day can i still be held in contempt?

I got a delinquent tax bill that my ex-wife and I owed to the state and choose to pay the bill in full to avoid future problems. Problem is, I did not speak with her about this and sent her a letter stating that i paid this tax bill in lieu of paying child support. Now she has filed contempt charges against me. If I show up to court with the past due amount in hand, can I still be held in contempt?

Hartford, CT -

Attorney Answers (2)

Thomas E. McCabe

Thomas E. McCabe

Family Law Attorney - Fairfield, CT

The answer is yes, however if you make the payment then the court would unlikely enter an order that you are in contempt. If I were your attorney I would take care of everything prior to Court...Judges do not appreciate the funds being available all of a sudden the day of a contempt motion.

Brian S Karpe

Brian S Karpe

Family Law Attorney - Hartford, CT

Attorney McCabe is correct. If the court order says you need to pay child support, then that is what you need to pay. You can try writing "Advance Child Support Payment" in the memo section of the tax bill and pay it before court. The judge may then accept that the payment (or part of it) is sufficient as child support, but the problem you also have is if the bill is in both of your names and you both are liable for it. If you both are liable for the tax due, it is unlikely the judge will treat the payment as payment in lieu of child support because the tax bill is also your obligation to pay.

Brian S. Karpe, Esq. (860) 242-2221 Note: This response DOES NOT constitute legal advice and therefore no... more

Related Topics

Child support

Child support is a payment made from one parent to another parent (usually from non-custodial to custodial), to help ensure the child's financial needs are met.

Featured Legal Guides

Child support order

A child support order is a court order outlining the terms of child support, such as who pays, how much, & how often. Changing it requires going back to court.

Featured Legal Guides

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.