Skip to main content

If I complete a deferred probation for PI and get it dismissed, will I have limited time to file for expungement?

Dallas, TX |

I have 21 days to respond to a Public Intoxication..
If I complete a deferred probation and get it dismissed, will I have limited time to file for expungement? Would I need to act quickly after the dismissal?

Attorney Answers 4


No--there aren't any time limits (in that direction, at least) on expunctions. On a PI, assuming you're talking about a regular Class C PI that's handled in JP or municipal court, you should safely be able to file for expunction six months after the date that your case gets dismissed (may be a little sooner, depending on when the case got filed, but 6 months after dismissal, you can definitely do it). But you can also do it a year, or five years, or ten years later if you need to.

Mark as helpful

11 lawyers agree


Wait at least 6 months is what I'm told.

The information provided is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. I am only licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and I am not providing you with specific legal advice. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Being general in nature, the information provided may not apply to any specific factual and/or legal set of circumstances and/or the jurisdiction where you reside. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. The information provided is of a general nature is not intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney, especially an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Your question, although you may believe is simple, it is not simple. You require legal advice, please consult with a competent attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction.

Mark as helpful

8 lawyers agree


Mrs. Foley is correct. 6 months from the date of dismissal, on a Class C.

My answers are not intended as anything more than an educational response to generic questions posted on this site.

Mark as helpful

10 lawyers agree


Foley is correct

Mark as helpful

7 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics