If I come to the US with a waiver or B1 visa and apply for L-1 visa. Can I stay in the US after expiration, until uscis answers?

Ojai, CA |

I'm planning on openning a subsidiary of a non profit.

Technically you cannot change status from B-1 to L-1, but it is sometimes granted. I do not advise taking this route. Rather, it is better to apply for the L-1A new office and then enter on that visa. Premium processing is available for such an application.

You can only apply for a "visa" abroad.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Entering the US with a visa waiver means you cannot change status, period.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.