If I come to the US with a waiver or B1 visa and apply for L-1 visa. Can I stay in the US after expiration, until uscis answers?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Ojai, CA

I'm planning on openning a subsidiary of a non profit.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can only apply for a "visa" abroad.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Entering the US with a visa waiver means you cannot change status, period.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  3. Myron Russell Morales


    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . Technically you cannot change status from B-1 to L-1, but it is sometimes granted. I do not advise taking this route. Rather, it is better to apply for the L-1A new office and then enter on that visa. Premium processing is available for such an application.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,620 answers this week

2,977 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,620 answers this week

2,977 attorneys answering