If i cant afford the lawyer what would should i do

Bellingham, WA |

OK so a lawyer has went with me to my first court date and i go in front of the judge on 4 - 1 but i cant afford the lawyer he is 2500 in which 1500 down payment and well mi not that rich

1. Talk with your attorney and work out some payment schedule that you both agree upon. If you can't afford him/her seek other defense attorneys in your area that you can, if you can't reach an agreement.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

2. Your options are a public defender, if you qualify for one, or borrowing money from friends and family to get an attorney. I am not sure of your charges.

This is not intended as individual legal advice and there is no attorney client relationship established by this answer. It is advisable that you seek individualized legal assistance. This is not a substitute for hiring an attorney.

3. Tell your current lawyer about your financial hardship and ask the lawyer what he/she is willing to do for you. Contact the court and ask how you go about applying for a public defender. If you qualify, one will be appointed for you. If you don't qualify, you'll have to figure out a way to pay your private attorney.