If i cant afford the lawyer what would should i do

Asked over 1 year ago - Bellingham, WA

OK so a lawyer has went with me to my first court date and i go in front of the judge on 4 - 1 but i cant afford the lawyer he is 2500 in which 1500 down payment and well mi not that rich

1. Vitaliy Kertchen

5

Answered . Tell your current lawyer about your financial hardship and ask the lawyer what he/she is willing to do for you. Contact the court and ask how you go about applying for a public defender. If you qualify, one will be appointed for you. If you don't qualify, you'll have to figure out a way to pay your private attorney.

2. Michael Lawrence Doyle

Pro

3

Answered . Your options are a public defender, if you qualify for one, or borrowing money from friends and family to get an attorney. I am not sure of your charges.

3. Frank Mascagni III

Answered . Talk with your attorney and work out some payment schedule that you both agree upon. If you can't afford him/her seek other defense attorneys in your area that you can, if you can't reach an agreement.