Skip to main content

If i can't make the payment for a court order GAL before the deadline what should i do

Tacoma, WA |
Filed under: Litigation

A court oder was set out for a GAL, the judge asked me for my source of income , i stated that i make 9,19 hr but only work 20 hr a week, what i faled to say was , that was a job thru DSHS subsidized work for the children, now that the children are in the mothers care my case was closed, and so did the income, i have a deadline coming up and i am unable to make that full payment, what can i do

Attorney Answers 3

  1. What does GAL stand for? (Perhaps I should know, but I have not run across this acronym before . . . Maybe it is something unique to Washington that we don't have in Texas.)

  2. I would strongly suggest contacting the Guardian Ad Litem and the Court as soon as possible to let them both know of your financial situation. In cases like these, the best thing to do is to ask permission (i.e.: payment plan or something) rather than forgiveness (after missing a Court-ordered payment deadline). The GAL would probably be willing to work with you and if you have the GAL on board with a financial arrangement, the Court would be far more willing to change the Order.

    Good luck!

  3. I agree with Mr. Lorry. Be upfront and get a plan in place.

Litigation topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics