Skip to main content

If I can not appear to court due to weather issues and no transportation I have an attorney what will happen ?

Brentwood, NY |

My charge is first time Petty Larceny with a misdemeanor 2 years ago of DUI and it is closed now had To do community service and pay a fine.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Your attorney should appear for you to explain the circumstances.

    I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

  2. You need to call the court. Hopefully the Judge won't issue a bench warrant. Courts are usually understanding aftet large snow falls.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

  3. Given that some areas of Suffolk have 30 inches of snow and many roads are not plowed, you should be ok IF you reach your attorney and tell him whats going on, and failing that contact the Court and advise them of what is happening with your transportation. Follow up in writing.

    If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email -

  4. Telephone your attorney, get an adjournment.

    If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice which requires all the details, nor creates an attorney client relationship.

  5. You will want to let your attorney know right away so that they can appear. You might also back that up with a call to the court clerk unless your attorney tells you not to. The bad weather is certainly well known in the area so you should get a continuance.

    If this answer was helpful please click that block. Answers in the forum are only general and it is always best to contact a criminal defense lawyer to discuss your case. Bukh Law Firm P.C., 14 Wall Street, New York NY 10005, (212) 729-1632.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics