If i buy a hud property. it says it has to be owner occupied, but could i sell later on in few year and buy another hud property

Houston, TX |

I really dont know how hud works as they want to sell homes to people who are owner occupied. but what if the owner down the road wants to sell it and buy another one?

You can buy and sell as you please. The HUD "owner-occupied" provision means that they want the buyer to be the one who occupies the house as their main residence, not to be occupied by renters or only occasionally by the buyer as a vacation spot or investment property.

If this response was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. The response provided herein is for informational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice, nor does it establish or intend to establish an attorney-client relationship. You should always speak with a licensed attorney regarding your legal rights before taking or not taking any particular action.

hmm.. so for how long does it have to be owner occupied? what if its rented out after few months?

Kevin Matthew Koel

Kevin Matthew Koel

I did more research and I was incorrect, the HUD rules do say you have to occupy the home for 12 months before selling, and you cannot buy another HUD property for 24 months after the first purchase. I believe that after the initial 12 month period, you are free to rent it out.

Yes, as long as you occupy it after you purchase it.