If i buy a house with someone is this considered a civil union? alimony states that it will stop for a marriage or civil union.

Asked over 3 years ago - Ridgewood, NJ

I would like to buy a house with my boyfriend but concerned this could be recognized
as a civil union, my divorce decree states alimony can end with marriage or civil union.

1. Mary Tom

Answered . You need to review the terms of your Judgment of Divorce/Property Settlement Agreement with an attorney. Cohabitation may be sufficient to terminate alimony.

MARY TOM, ESQ.
    HUNZIKER, JONES & SWEENEY, P.A.
    Wayne Plaza II
    155 Route 46 West
    Wayne, NJ 07470
    Phone No. (973) 256-0456
    Fax No. (973) 256-4784

2. Ronald Glenn Lieberman

Pro

Answered . That event is not even close to a civil union, so don't worry. By the way, a civil union is between same sex partners or people over the age of 62.

3. David Perry Davis

Answered . No - that doesn't constitute a "civil union". You have to specifically file for one, and they're only available for older people or same-sex couples.

But that doesn't sound like the end of the question under your facts. Cohabitation CAN be sufficient to terminate or adjust alimony. If you have a specific provision terminating alimony on cohabitation, it's enforceable. If it's not addressed, the court will apply Gayet v. Gayet (google it) and the payor is probably (not always, but probably) entitled to a reduction of alimony.

4. Ezra N. Goldman

Answered . Check with your divorce lawyer but "civil union" generally means marriage by a judge or a justice of the peace. As opposed to a religious union. But buying a house could mean you are an investor -- nothing to do with stopping alimony.

5. Marakay Jessica Rogers

Answered . New Jersey law spells out the criteria for a civil union to be recognized by the state. Merely buying property together or/and cohabiting should not be sufficient to create this status. You should be able to find the information for civil union formation in your state on line; I believe in New Jersey you have to file for one just as you would file for a marriage license, as a civil union is intended to create a status similar to marriage. You can also call the county for information just as you would for finding out what is needed in order to get a marriage license in your county.