If I broke someones jaw in self defense would I get in trouble?

Asked over 1 year ago - Kent, WA

If someone punches me first and I use self defense to punch them in the face 3 or 4 times will I get in trouble for breaking their jaw or have to pay medical bills?

If I was just standing and somebody punched me in the face, I tackle them to the ground after and punch them in the face 3 or 4 times that would likely be the situation here.

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

10

9

Answered . You have a claim of self defense. The question becomes whether or not the force you used in defending yourself was excessive. I strongly suggest that you retain legal counsel to defend your interests as you may be facing serious charges. Good luck.

2. Patrick Owen Earl

Pro

7

1

Answered . You have a problem here. Yes it starts out as self defense when a person hits you first and you defend yourself HOWEVER you don't have the right or the ability to "beat the other person up" Your force or defense can only rise up to the level you are facing so by getting hit once and then hitting him 3-4 times, hard enough to actually break a bone, you are in trouble of getting charged but also this could be a felony. Get an attorney now.

3. Kenan Lee Isitt

6

Answered . Maybe. If this is not just a hypothetical question, then you really need to talk to an attorney in person to help protect you from a potential criminal charge and a potential civil charge. There are a lot of additional facts that would need to be known before your question can be answered in any meaningful sense, and you should not post those details on this public forum, as anything you say can potentially be used against you in court.

4. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

7

Answered . You can claim self defense and the question for the court(if it gets that far) will be if you used excessive force.

One or more answers have been taken down.