If i become a citizen can my mother who lives in Colombia come to USA using her tourist visa and I can adjust her status?

Louisville, KY |

I am in the process of becoming a citizen, my mother has a tourist visa for 10 years but I take care of her sending , money every month and she will be 62 this year...

To use a tourist visa to enter the US with the intention of becoming a permanent resident is visa fraud.

She will be required to commit a material misrepresentation (lie) at the US Consul and/or the US Border.

Don't put her through it.

It will only tak 6-9 months to do it 'right' ... ie: you become a USC, file the I-130 and she gets the immigrant visa at the US Consul.

This way she can hold her head high and not be required to lie.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

She should not come to the US on a tourist visa with the intent of remaining permanently.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

That would not be a good idea. WE are appy talk to you why this is a bad idea

Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at

Recommended articles about Immigration