If i become a citizen can my mother who lives in Colombia come to USA using her tourist visa and I can adjust her status?

Asked over 1 year ago - Louisville, KY

I am in the process of becoming a citizen, my mother has a tourist visa for 10 years but I take care of her sending , money every month and she will be 62 this year...

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . She should not come to the US on a tourist visa with the intent of remaining permanently.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No.

    To use a tourist visa to enter the US with the intention of becoming a permanent resident is visa fraud.

    She will be required to commit a material misrepresentation (lie) at the US Consul and/or the US Border.

    Don't put her through it.

    It will only tak 6-9 months to do it 'right' ... ie: you become a USC, file the I-130 and she gets the immigrant visa at the US Consul.

    This way she can hold her head high and not be required to lie.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  3. Neil Ian Fleischer


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . That would not be a good idea. WE are appy talk to you why this is a bad idea

    Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 www.immigrate2usa.com Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,216 answers this week

3,237 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,216 answers this week

3,237 attorneys answering