If I apply for US citizenship, will I lose my Dutch citizenship or become a dual citizen?

Woodhaven, NY |

I am a Dutch citizen by birth (my parents are also Dutch citizens) and lived in The Netherlands for nine years. I then moved to the US about seven years ago with my parents.

If you want to, yes. If you want to keep it, no.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

You will not lose your Dutch citizenship, but you may want to look into the tax consequences.

That depends on Dutch laws.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.