If I apply for Canadian secret security clearance, will they discover that my former employer is under investigation in the U.S?

New York, NY |
Filed under: Employment

There's an ongoing federal investigation into a company I used to work at in the USA. If I apply for secret security clearance in Canada, will they discover that my old company is under investigation?

1. This isn't really a legal question; however, let me answer with a question: what do you think the odds are that they'll find out about the investigation of your former employer? Perhaps more to the point, what do you think will happen to your clearance if you don't tell them about the investigation and they end up finding out about it anyway? I'm going to guess that the odds of getting your security clearance under those conditions are rather small.

My answer does not constitute legal advice and may not be relied upon by anyone for any purpose and does not constitute an attorney/client relationship or an offer to form such a relationship. This disclaimer is intended to be fully compliant with the requirements of Treasury Department Circular 230 and the terms thereof are fully incorporated by reference. If you wish to consult with me please contact me at dana@nytaxcounsel or visit my website at www.nytaxcounsel.com

2. Probably, but to receive any realistically accurate answer you should ask a Canadian licensed attorney.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction. Additionally, we also encourage you to reach out to us via Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/WhiteRoseMarks) or Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/WhiteRoseMarks) if you have follow up questions as we do not monitor questions after providing an initial answer.