If I am undocumented in the U.S. for the last 8 years, should I file tax returns if I want to be eligible for immigration reform

New York, NY |

I have been here for the last years working as a cleaner and want to stay if immigration reform is passed..I have not ever filed tax returns and a friend told me that I should start paying taxes if I want to be eligible..not sure what that means as I cannot afford to pay back taxes and filing April 30th seems like I would just alert the government to being here.

In most situations where a program or law is passed an applicants proof of presence in the usa is their tax returns. Thus in most cases it is wise to do so.

Thank you and that makes sense. Couldn't I put my job at risk if I file taxes though? Also, should I just file for last year?

I would assume filing of taxes would be a necessary step.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 s.ouya@mainalaw.com Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

I agree with my colleagues.

Tax law topics