Skip to main content

If I am undocumented in the U.S. for the last 8 years, should I file tax returns if I want to be eligible for immigration reform

New York, NY |

I have been here for the last years working as a cleaner and want to stay if immigration reform is passed..I have not ever filed tax returns and a friend told me that I should start paying taxes if I want to be eligible..not sure what that means as I cannot afford to pay back taxes and filing April 30th seems like I would just alert the government to being here.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    In most situations where a program or law is passed an applicants proof of presence in the usa is their tax returns. Thus in most cases it is wise to do so.

  2. I would assume filing of taxes would be a necessary step.

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

  3. I agree with my colleagues.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics