If I am under the age of 18, can I file for a restraining order?

Asked over 2 years ago - Fall River, MA

I feel threatened by my brother. He is addicted to heroin and he has a very violent past. He has been arrested for possession and he is being held against his will until mid-July. He does threaten to kill himself many times and I'm scared to be in the same household as him.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Robert M Granger

    Contributor Level 6


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Generally a parent or guardian files a petition for an abuse prevention order on behalf of someone who is under 18.

  2. Mo Idlibby

    Contributor Level 5
    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Generally-speaking, at least one of your parents or your legal guardian will need to file on behalf of a minor under the age of 18.

    Please understand that answering this does NOT create an attorney-client relationship between us, and as hard as I... more
  3. Henry Lebensbaum

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . If you are emancipated maybe, but you may need a parent to file.

    henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- attorneylebensbaum@verizon.net (978) 749-3606.
    Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

    Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,708 answers this week

2,627 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,708 answers this week

2,627 attorneys answering