Skip to main content

If I am under 21 and got a DUI, what should I do?

Athens, GA |

I am 19 and got my first DUI. What should I do and what will happen to me?

Attorney Answers 8

  1. It is difficult to answer the "what will happen to me" portion of your question, as there needs to be an undertaking of the facts of your case in detail. The first thing you should do is immediately seek a qualified opinion from an attorney. This should occur within 10 days of your arrest, as there could be license implications should you not act within that time period. We offer a free initial consultation to discuss your options with you.

  2. You need to speak with an attorney as soon as possible. There are some things you need to do right away, such as filing the 10-day letter to request a hearing regarding your license. There are some serious consequences to this charge, so don't just go in and plead guilty; there could be many possible ways to fight the case or obtain a reduction to a lesser charge. Finding a lawyer you're comfortable with will give you the best chance to minimize the damage now that you're in this situation. Feel free to call us at 404-987-0245 to discuss your case further at no charge, and best wishes to you.
    -Kevin A. Chastine

  3. Contact 2 or 3 attorneys to discuss your case. Most attorneys will meet with you at no cost for about an hour to evaluate your case. I see that you are in Athens, GA. If you are charged in Athens, I recommend Jeff Rothman. I am in Atlanta and I send him all my DUI referrals there. If your case is not in Athens, feel free to contact my office or any of the highly rated DUI attorneys on the AVVO site. Perhaps most importantly in the short run, make sure you get a letter to DDS to protect your drivers license within 10 business days from the date of your arrest. A DUI lawyer can take care of that for you, so I would make an appointment as soon as possible. Good luck.

  4. Please seek an attorney as soon as possible. The fact that you are under 21 and receive a DUI could have dire consequences not only in the Court case, but also to your driver's license, the latter coming potentially before you even go to court. Make sure to take all of the documents, tickets, etc. you received regarding the arrest to the attorney you go to see, and call and set an appointment with an attorney today..

    The above information is general in nature. In order to obtain more specific and legal advice upon which to base your important decisions, please contact our office directly for a free phone or in person consultation. Robert M. Gardner, Jr. Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP 53 W. Candler St. Or 718 Oak St. Winder, Ga. 30680 Gainesville, Georgia (770) 307-4899 (770) 538-0555 serving metro Atlanta and all of Northeast Georgia Bankruptcy, Divorce, Personal Injury, Worker’s Compensation, Medical Malpractice, Adoption, Civil and Criminal Litigation

  5. If you are not a US citizen, in addition to contacting several criminal attorneys, you should contact a reputable immigration lawyer who is a member of AILA (the American Immigration Lawyers Association.)

    This general information does not establish any attorney-client relationship. There may well be factors not mentioned in the question which could and should be addressed in an attorney consultation.

  6. You need to contact a couple of DUI (it is important to contact a lawyer that specializes) attorneys immediately. Your driving privileges are in jeopardy and it is important to react quickly. Hire a lawyer who your are comfortable with and that you communicate well with. Your are facing punishment with jail time involved.

  7. I agree with the other lawyers who have responded advising you to talk to several lawyers who are experienced in this area. You have answers from two very good lawyers in Athens who can hlep you. I am in Athens as well and can help you. Do some research on the web, ask around and set up some free consultations (I do those in DUI cases and other good lawyers will as well) and see if you can find someone you feel good about ....a good lawyer can help you. Good luck.

  8. Call Rothman or Hawkins! Hire both if you can afford it!!!

    I am an attorney, practicing throughout the state of Georgia, but primarily in the areas around Augusta, Statesboro and Savannah, Georgia. You may review more information about my practice by going to: The information I am providing you should only be considered for your general knowledge and educational purposes. Consider it as a good first step in your knowledge acquisition, but not as legal advice. Indeed, any information I provide is based on the extremely limited facts you have provided and new facts could substantially alter any answer or reply. My opinion should be understood to apply only to the laws of the State of Georgia. You should always consult with a local attorney about your situation if you live outside of the State of Georgia.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics