If I am Russian, should I only hire a Russian immigration lawyer?

Asked 12 months ago - San Francisco, CA

If I am Russian, should I only hire a Russian immigration lawyer? Will it help? There are plenty of Russian immigration lawyers.

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

10

Answered . You need to select an immigration attorney you would feel confident in and comfortable around. If that means, you should hire a Russian speaking immigration attorney then so be it. Tatiana Edwards is a very good Russian speaking immigration attorney in California. Look her up.

2. Jeff L. Khurgel

Pro

7

Answered . It's a personal choice, and depends on with whom you feel most comfortable. As a Russian-speaking immigration attorney, my Russian-speaking clients appreciate that they can communicate with me in their native language. At the same time, this is not required at all, and immigration attorneys are generally capable of helping immigrants from a variety of backgrounds. You may want to call around or visit several attorneys to find one that has handled your specific kind of case and that you are comfortable with. Best of luck.

3. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

7

Answered . Hiring a COMPETENT and experienced immigration lawyer who is also fluent in one's own's language is a god sent gift to the immigrant, for only a Russian (or Ukrainian) born lawyer can understand a fellow Russian's unique culture, unique background, goals and aspirations and can make the whole painful (and often illogical ) immigration process seem a lot more bearable.. In my office, I make it a point, as soon as I learn that someone is from the ex USSR to have my Russian speaking lawyer, even if I see that the person is near fluent in English, (as they often are). They thank me later. However, to be brutally honest, the only problem you will be facing with this approach is finding a Russian immigration lawyer who graduated from law school in the US and passed the bar exam in a state that matters and not one who simply finished the university of Kazan, got to be a "lawyer" back home and then came here to take a "masters in comparative law" & then passed the bar exam in an easy state and known holds him/herself out as a "experienced" immigration lawyer. Use those at your own peril.

4. Aneliya M. Angelova

Pro

4

Answered . You don't have to hire a Russian lawyer but you may benefit from having one because he/she will speak your own language. It is up to you.

This answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice.
  5. Tripti Sharad Sharma

Pro

1

Answered . No. Look for a lawyer experienced in a petition/ application you wish to file.