If I am Russian, should I only hire a Russian immigration lawyer?

San Francisco, CA |

If I am Russian, should I only hire a Russian immigration lawyer? Will it help? There are plenty of Russian immigration lawyers.

1. It's a personal choice, and depends on with whom you feel most comfortable. As a Russian-speaking immigration attorney, my Russian-speaking clients appreciate that they can communicate with me in their native language. At the same time, this is not required at all, and immigration attorneys are generally capable of helping immigrants from a variety of backgrounds. You may want to call around or visit several attorneys to find one that has handled your specific kind of case and that you are comfortable with. Best of luck.

Kindly note that this posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Remember, this site is akin to an internet blog. Do not rely on information here to make important decisions in your life. Make an appointment to meet with a licensed attorney in his or her office (or via Skype or phone) to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

2. Hiring a COMPETENT and experienced immigration lawyer who is also fluent in one's own's language is a god sent gift to the immigrant, for only a Russian (or Ukrainian) born lawyer can understand a fellow Russian's unique culture, unique background, goals and aspirations and can make the whole painful (and often illogical ) immigration process seem a lot more bearable.. In my office, I make it a point, as soon as I learn that someone is from the ex USSR to have my Russian speaking lawyer, even if I see that the person is near fluent in English, (as they often are). They thank me later. However, to be brutally honest, the only problem you will be facing with this approach is finding a Russian immigration lawyer who graduated from law school in the US and passed the bar exam in a state that matters and not one who simply finished the university of Kazan, got to be a "lawyer" back home and then came here to take a "masters in comparative law" & then passed the bar exam in an easy state and known holds him/herself out as a "experienced" immigration lawyer. Use those at your own peril.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

3. You don't have to hire a Russian lawyer but you may benefit from having one because he/she will speak your own language. It is up to you.

This answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice.

4. You need to select an immigration attorney you would feel confident in and comfortable around. If that means, you should hire a Russian speaking immigration attorney then so be it. Tatiana Edwards is a very good Russian speaking immigration attorney in California. Look her up.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

5. No. Look for a lawyer experienced in a petition/ application you wish to file.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. You are encouraged to seek independent and private counseling for a complete review of your case.