Skip to main content

If I am pregnant by my ex boyfriend is it illegal for me to leave the state?

Mishawaka, IN |

If I am pregnant by my ex boyfriend is it illegal for me to leave the state? He says it is illegal for me to leave the state carrying his child without his permission. Is this true?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. No, that is absolutely untrue. Until paternity is established in a court of law, you are free to make all the decisions on behalf of your unborn child. You are free to go is you please.

    Now, as a practical matter, I would not rub his nose in that.

  2. No, you can leave. This is more of a family law question.

  3. No, it is NOT illegal. If you want to go to a different state you can and you do NOT need his permission.

    Unless he is a danger to the child, he has a right to see the child after child is born. He will also be required to pay child support.

    But you can go live in any state you want right now.

    Andre Olivie, Esq.

    Legal disclaimer: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Do not rely on this advice without speaking to an immigration attorney in detail about your case. This message does not create an attorney-client relationship.

  4. It is not illegal for you to leave the state. You do not need his permission.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics