If I am petitioning my husband can I file I-130, I-485 and I-485 supplement A together?

Asked over 1 year ago - Dallas, TX

I am trying to petition my husband who was previously petitioned by his father in April 28, 2001 my question is should I file all three forms together (I-130, I-485 and supplement A I-485) I was advised that he was able to receive his green card here in the US since he falls under the 245i by paying the $1000 fee for the Supplement A I-485 form, and also when he was attempting to cross the border illegaly he was 17 years old he was stopped by and immigration officer twice and returned to Mexico but his finger prints and picture was taken how should I disclose that on I-130 question #16?:confused:

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Irene Vaisman

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, the truth should be disclosed. But what happened when he was 17, may actually have a significant impact on what if anything can be done now. I highly advise that you speak to an experienced immigration attorney before you file anything as your husband may actually end up being worse off than he now is.

    This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.
  2. Tolulope O. Kuteyi

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . All applications can be submitted at the same time, it usually helps the process go faster. You should attain counsel though to help you deal with the issues of his turn around.

    Information posted or made available on or through the Site, including without limitation any responses to legal... more
  3. Veronica Tunitsky

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Before you spend thousands of dollarS on application fees, please spend a little money on consulting with an attorney. Your huaband's multiple illegal entries might subject him to the permanent bar that cannot be cured by grandfathering provisions of 245i even though he was a minor at the time. Whether he's subject to the bar depends on when this happened, how long he was in the us before he entered the first time, how long he was in the us between entry 1 and entry 2, and what happened when he was refused entry (deported or not).

    The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. Please consult an... more
  4. Haroen Calehr


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Attorney Tunitsky couldn't have said it better. You typically only get one "free out of jail card" so to speak, i,e, one illegal entry and a waiver for instance by being here out of status for one year or more. But more than 1 illegal entry and he may be out of luck. Consult competent immigration counsel since otherwise you'll loose all your application fees ($420, $1070 and $1000) and also he may end up in deportation proceedings.

  5. Inara Khashmati


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should always disclose the truth and in a cae such as yours I suggest hiring an attorney. Good Luck!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,141 answers this week

2,961 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary