If I am personally being sued for alienation of affection can my LLC small business be affected

Asked 9 months ago - Greensboro, NC

can my LLC business be sued along with a personal lawsuit against me, the owner

1. Sarah Jessica Farber

2

Answered . No.

2. Mary Jean Gurganus

2

Answered . Alienation of Affections can only be brought against a natural person in order to protect employers against lawsuits involving workplace romances. However, if it is proven, damages could be based upon your net worth and the plaintiff may seek discovery to identify the value of the business and any communications between you and the spouse on your work email, etc. Make sure to speak with an attorney to understand your rights and responsibilities and to be prepared and informed. It goes a long way. Good luck.

3. Richard L. Huffman Jr.

Pro

Answered . Generally the answer is no. Businesses are legally separate from their owners. The LLC did not do anything wrong and was not involved in the actions that may lead to an alienation of affections law suit. It should not be involved in any law suit against you.
    However, it is possible that the assets could be at risk if a judgment is entered against you. Some people intermingle their personal assets with their business assets. A judgment against you allows the sheriff to execute on any of your assets. Some people do not run their business properly. It is sometimes possible for a judge to "pierce the corporate veil" by saying the LLC is not really a separate company but is an extension of you.
    I do not practice domestic law. Be aware that there is usually an "equitable distribution " of all of your marital assets between your spouse and you. If the LLC was formed during your marriage, it would likely be considered an asset of the marriage would be included, along with all other assets, to determine how to equitably divide the property.
    You must retain an attorney to protect your interests.

4. Charles R Smith

1

Answered . I believe I answered a question from your boyfriend about him being blackmailed for more alimony in lieu of suing you for alienation of affection. You both need to hire attorneys in the areas of concern. Your LLC can be sued, as anyone can file a lawsuit against whomever they choose. It does not mean it will be successful, and I am not able to figure how they LLC could be held liable for an act it did not commit. But, if the soon to be ex-wife obtains a judgment against you, she may be able to go after the LLC depending on the laws in NC. It is unlikely she will sue due to the cost of a lawsuit and I understand she is in Arizona, not NC. On the other hand, the saying about a woman scorned comes to mind. You should consult with a local attorney to review your LLC status and be prepared for any lawsuit. Best of luck.