If I am of age and have a mental illness can I legally have consensual sex with my employer?

San Angelo, TX |

I have a low IQ and Depression but i want to have consensual sex with my employer without either of us getting into trouble. I live in Texas.

What a tricky question. I doubt he would be breaking any laws, but he could be susceptible to a civil lawsuit or violating a company policy. You aren't going to get in trouble. And you have asked an intelligent and articulate legal question, so your IQ can't be that low!

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at www.macyjaggers.com for more information about her services and recent victories.

You might consider marriage.

We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I accept a retainer, and we explictly agree to enter into representation.

The precision of the question makes me wonder if the employer is asking the question and not the sufferer of mental illness.

If your employer has a work-rule that prohibits such relationships, then both you and the manager are vulnerable to termination on that factual basis.

I share the reaction of the other attorneys here that your question is well-articulated and rational. But the conduct you propose to engage in is risky and not in your best interests. Still, it is a mistake that plenty of people without mental illness or impaired IQ's make and continue to make. But it is a mistake nonetheless, and it will result in unhappiness of one sort or another. Consider not making this mistake.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.