Skip to main content

If I am not married to my children's father and I want to move out of state can he legally stop me?

Mansfield, LA |

I have been living in Louisiana for two and a half years and both of my children have been born down here and their father and I are having some issues. I need to move back to Michigan where I know my children will have a good stable living environment. I want to make sure I cannot get in trouble for leaving the state with them or what steps are necessary for me to take in order to be able to move with them.

Attorney Answers 1

  1. The Louisiana Relocation statute provides the procedures for relocating the residence of the father. The father's legal status (custody) has more to do with his rights than whether you were married. The court will look to a number of factors in allowing the move, most importantly the best interests in the children.

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics