If I am listed as an occupant on a lease but never signed it, am I legally responsible for paying the rent?

Asked over 3 years ago - Indianapolis, IN

I was listed as an occupant on a lease that i paid half of the deposit for and half of the first month's rent. My roommate has started to do things that make me worry about my safety and I want to leave this apartment. Since I am listed as an occupant but the company never made me sign the lease (my roommate signed it though) can they come after me to get the rent or is legally only my roommate responsible?

1. Answered . It sounds like you have an oral contract wtih your roommate for half the rent, which your roommate might attempt to enforce. But, if you are not on the lease, the landlord would appear to have no potential remedy against you as opposed to the person that signed as renter.

2. Answered . As my colleague stated, if your roommate signed the lease and not you, then your roommate will be responsible to the landlord for the full amount.

However, if you just 'up and leave' your roommate may have a cause of action (a justifiable case) against you for your half of the rent, based on an oral agreement.