If i am laid off in the middle of a leave, am i eligible to receive unemployment benefits?

San Diego, CA |

my work is closing & laying off my entire dept and i am currently on medical leave. am i eligible to receive unemployment benefits once laid off or would I need to wait until my scheduled return-to-work date? i would be unemployed until then. my current job is physically demanding, but i would be able to work in a desk job or something that didn't require physical labor.

1. You must be able to work, to be eligible for unemployment. If you are unable to work due to medical reasons, you may be eligible for state disability (SDI) through the EDD.

They say you get what you pay for, and this response is free, so take it for what it is worth. This is my opinion based on very limited information. My opinion should not be taken as legal advice. For true advice, we would require a confidential consultation where I would ask you questions and get your complete story. This is a public forum, so remember, nothing here is confidential. Nor am I your attorney. I do not know who you are and you have not hired me to provide any legal service. To do so would require us to meet and sign written retainer agreement. My responses are intended for general information only.