If I am involved in a car accident, and 1 year later I move to a foreign country for an international career opportunity...

Asked over 1 year ago - San Jose, CA

can the other party still sue me when I am out of country? (I am a US citizen.) If yes, do I have to go back to California for the lawsuit? And what if I move to another US state?

1. David Lee Fiol

12

Answered . Yes, you can be sued wherever you are, and if the plaintiff is anxious to get moving on the case they can serve you with the papers in a foreign country or another state. They can also choose to wait to serve you when you are back in California., since they get an extension of time while you are outside California.

If you are sued your auto insurance will handle the case for the most part, but you will have to help them and appear for a deposition. You might be able to give the deposition by phone or appear in the country or state where you are working.

In short, you won't be able to evade a lawsuit by leaving CA.

2. James Michael Bergener

Pro

8

Answered . Whatever you do, don't try to evade the lawsuit. The ramifications will be severe, and will only cause you more problems. Did you have insurance at the time? If so, you should immediately contact your carrier and report the incident. It's their job to shield you from liability, that's what you are paying them for. If you don't have insurance, they other party may try and sue you. Service of process can be completed out of state and even out of country. Good Luck.

3. George Costas Andriotis

Pro

9

Answered . Yes you can still be sued.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.
  4. Robert Bruce Kopelson

7

Answered . You can be sued no matter where you live when suit is filed. You need to stay in touch w/your ins co so they can contact you if needed to cooperate in the defense. If you dont cooperate, you could possibly lose your coverage, and end up with a judgment against you.

Pro

7

Answered . Yes. Report it to your insurance company to resolve.

6. Matthew Charles Price

Pro

3

Answered . You can be sued despite leaving the country. Hopefully you have already reported the accident to your insurance company. They should hire you counsel to defend you.

One or more answers have been taken down.