If I am in the US on a J1 trainee (not intern) visa, can I also take online U.S. college classes for credit?

Asked about 1 year ago - Washington, DC

While working as a trainee on a J1 visa, I'd also like to take some classes, offered online by a U.S. college. Since I'm not an F1 student, can I still do it? And do I get the college credit after completing the classes? Wouldn't it be pretty much the same as if I was in my home country, signing up for online U.S. classes?

1. Luca Cristiano Maria Melchionna

1

Answered . Be sure that the institution will release credit hours at the end of the program. Best

2. Daniel Patrick Hanlon

Answered . This should not be a problem.

3. Athina Balta

Answered . There is nothing in the conditions attached to J1 visa preventing you from taking college courses, while you are on the visa. Once your J1 visa term, however, expires mere registration for online courses does not authorize you to remain in the U.S.