If I am going to be in a divorce process and we have a child, is there going to be automatic child support?

Redwood City, CA |

My child was born while me and my partner were in a registered partnership (I got pregnant before we got registered and we werent together at the time). We are going to start the divorce process and I was wondering since there is a child involved, will the one of us have to pay the other child support? Or is that just something that is decided between us while we are in court?

1. Most jurisdictions have child support guidelines. You should really consult with an experienced local attorney about the specifics of your case.

This is not legal advice. This response is provided for general information only, as a public service. It is not to be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship; nor is it an attempt to create an attorney/client relationship. Consult with local counsel in your jurisdiction about the specifics of your case, which is the only way to gain true meaningful legal guidance and/or representation.

2. Not an easy question to answer with such limited facts. Generally unless the parties were legally married a paternity test is ordered, unless paternity is stipulated by a declaration under penalty of perjury. Child support is usually determined by how much custody each party is granted and/or agrees upon and how much each earns. A program called "Dissomaster" determines the amount owed based upon percentage of child custody and earnings, which is not disputable. It is always best to seek legal consultation when dealing with separation and children just to make sure the children are taken care of. Hope this helps. Good luck!

3. More facts needed.Being registered domestic partners with your partner before the birth of the child you have a presumption that both of you are the parents. There are details that can add to this statement and presumption that can support an argument for child support.
    Always the difference is in the details. It is a sensitive and viable problem that the evolution in the law is resolving today in different court cases.

Disclaimer:Attorney and Fraud Examiner.One of few that are Certified Fraud Examiners (CFE). The information contained in this website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as a legal advice on any subject. No recipients of content from this site,clients or otherwise,should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient's state. The content of this website contains general information and may not reflect current legal developments, verdicts or settlements. The Karamanlis Powers Law Offices expressly disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents of this website, weblogs, twitter, facebook, google+. *the certification is not a specialty recognized by the California State Bar.

Child support topics