If I am cited by the LAHD for building a stairway to create a duplex from a single family dwelling, can I just return

Asked 7 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

to the status quo and have a contractor correct the work I did and restore the home to its original status as SFD.

1. David Herman Hirsch

1

Best Answer

Answered . Technically, it sounds like you violated the code and therefore you could be prosecuted for the violation. I really don't know how Los Angeles approaches code enforcement, so you need to talk to the City and see if they will let you off the hook if you agree to bring the property back into compliance. If it was one of the cities I've represented, we would work with you to get the violation corrected and that would be sufficient, but that doesn't necessarily mean that your city will do that. Each city is different when it comes to how they approach code enforcement, but cooperating with them will be in your best interest in getting things resolved...

THESE COMMENTS MUST NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE. Comments made on websites such as Avvo.com are provided for information purposes only, and you should not base a decision to act or refrain from acting based upon this answer. The only way to determine how the law may apply to your particular situation is to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. That relationship is established by the execution of a written agreement for legal services. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

2. Anthony Marinaccio

Pro

2

1

Answered . It would depend on what the citation says, but from what you state in your question, bringing the building back within what was originally permitted should correct the citation. You may want to contact the contact person on the citation to see how to correct the illegal construction. If the building is tenant occupied as two residential units, there may be additional issues that could be raised as a result of the citation.

3. Nicholas Basil Spirtos

2

1

Answered . Talk with the City about your plans, but more than likely, if you return it to its legal status as a SFD, the City will more than likely allow it. It may require you to obtain a building permit and have the work inspected, especially if the previous changes involved any structural, electric or plumbing.