If I am being threatened with a 24 hour eviction, should I contact the local police department?

My friend says that if my landlord is threatening to evict me in 24 hours based on nonfactual claims, I should go to the police department and make them aware. Is this true?

Cohoes, NY -

Eric Edward Rothstein

Eric Edward Rothstein

Criminal Defense Attorney - New York, NY

I doubt the police will do anything ahead of time. Hire a landlord-tenant lawyer.

Jayson Lutzky

Jayson Lutzky

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Bronx, NY

Contact a local landlord tenant attorney first.

Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Lawsuit / Dispute Attorney - Bellmore, NY

Unless the building is condemned, the LL can not evict you on 24 hours notice.

Steven Warren Smollens

Steven Warren Smollens

Landlord / Tenant Lawyer - New York, NY

Dear should I contact the police?

Hello. You have had nearly all day to explain with facts instead of mere conclusions what is going on in your life. Earlier today the impression you gave was that without any cause and without a court proceeding and without you having signed any agreement, the person you identified as "landlord" told you he arranged for the Cohoes Police to come on Sunday at 4 PM and evict you. You did not take the time to explain how you began to occupy the property, how long you occupied the property and if you paid anyone, in particular your "landlord" for the right to occupy the property.