If I am being threatened with a 24 hour eviction, should I contact the local police department?

Cohoes, NY |

My friend says that if my landlord is threatening to evict me in 24 hours based on nonfactual claims, I should go to the police department and make them aware. Is this true?

I doubt the police will do anything ahead of time. Hire a landlord-tenant lawyer.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Contact a local landlord tenant attorney first.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

None are available until Monday. Is there anything else I can do besides wait until tomorrow at 4pm?

I have legal sheild and they can only help me if he police are at my door. should I try to contact the local police and make them aware of my situation before he tries to engage in self help tomorrow at 4pm?

Unless the building is condemned, the LL can not evict you on 24 hours notice.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email - Jgold@goldbenes.com

Dear should I contact the police?

Hello. You have had nearly all day to explain with facts instead of mere conclusions what is going on in your life. Earlier today the impression you gave was that without any cause and without a court proceeding and without you having signed any agreement, the person you identified as "landlord" told you he arranged for the Cohoes Police to come on Sunday at 4 PM and evict you. You did not take the time to explain how you began to occupy the property, how long you occupied the property and if you paid anyone, in particular your "landlord" for the right to occupy the property.

The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should try to avoid a bad outcome if you can.