If I am being threatened with a 24 hour eviction, should I contact the local police department?

Asked over 1 year ago - Cohoes, NY

My friend says that if my landlord is threatening to evict me in 24 hours based on nonfactual claims, I should go to the police department and make them aware. Is this true?

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

3

Answered . I doubt the police will do anything ahead of time. Hire a landlord-tenant lawyer.

2. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

1

Answered . Contact a local landlord tenant attorney first.

3. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

1

Answered . Unless the building is condemned, the LL can not evict you on 24 hours notice.

4. Steven Warren Smollens

Answered . Dear should I contact the police?

Hello. You have had nearly all day to explain with facts instead of mere conclusions what is going on in your life. Earlier today the impression you gave was that without any cause and without a court proceeding and without you having signed any agreement, the person you identified as "landlord" told you he arranged for the Cohoes Police to come on Sunday at 4 PM and evict you. You did not take the time to explain how you began to occupy the property, how long you occupied the property and if you paid anyone, in particular your "landlord" for the right to occupy the property.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now