If i am a witness/victim in a case that is high profile can i protect myself from being shown testifying on the news and paper?

Fort Myers, FL |

can I ask to not be seen?

1. If you are juvenile the answer is maybe. If you are an adult it is very unlikely because of our freedom of press.

Please be advised that answering your questions does not establish an attorney-client relationship with myself or my firm. We would be more than happy to set up a free consultation if you call us at 407-588-6714 and specifically mention AVVO or email me at bill@thelawman.net and put AVVO in the subject line.

2. I agree with my colleague above. Generally, freedom of the press will override a witnesses' desire not to be seen.

This answer does not, nor is it intended to, create an attorney-client relationship or constitute attorney advertising. Rather, it is offered solely for informational purposes. The facts of each case are different and unique, it is critical to consult with qualified counsel with whom information can be shared and assessed under attorney-client privilege, so that competent and quality advice can be obtained on which you can make informed decisions

3. Yes you can ask. Will your request be honored by the press? Probably not.

4. Is some intances yes, in most NO. However, most judges will listen to victims in cases where they do not want their images on the news or in the paper. Specially if there is some kind of violence or sexual nature to the charges. Its up to the judge what he lets go on in his or her courtroom. Howeever, once he you are outside in public, there is not alot you can do!

Scot D. Goldberg, Esquire Goldberg, Racila, D'Alessandro & Noone, LLC 1533 Hendry Street, Suite 200 Fort Myers, FL 33901 239.461.5508 239.461.3915 (Facsimile) E-mail ScotGoldberg@goldberg-law.com Website- www.Goldberg-law.com CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic mail transmission has been sent by a law office. It may contain information that is confidential, privileged, proprietary, or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, or disseminate this message, any part of it, or any attachments. If you have received this message in error, please delete this message and any attachments from your system without reading the content and notify the sender immediately of the inadvertent transmission. There is no intent on the part of the sender to waive any privilege, including the attorney-client privilege that may attach to this communication. Thank you for your cooperation.

5. Ask the judge and prosecutor for help on this.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for IMPORTANT INFORMATION about this AVVO Answer. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I am an experienced Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.