If I am a respondent, why do I have to pay a filing fee? Also can an Inmate in a CSP request spousal support?

I was told I have to pay a filing fee for responding to the petition or request a fee waiver.

Los Angeles, CA -

Barbara Peyton

Barbara Peyton

Family Law Attorney - Sacramento, CA

Each party to an action has to pay a filing fee because California is a no fault divorce state and because the Court system needs the money. If a party is low enough on the income scale, he/she may qualify for a fee waiver.
I don't think an inmate can qualify for spousal support because one of the things the court looks at is the asking party's need which is zero if that person is being housed, clothed and fed. One of the other things the court looks at is whether the asking party has the ability to work. If incarcerated, probably not much possibility of that.

Antoinette Cara Liewen

Antoinette Cara Liewen

Real Estate Attorney - Camarillo, CA

Everyone -- Petitioner & Respondent -- has to pay filing fees. If you cannot afford the fee, you can request a Fee Waiver.

Emily M De Falla

Emily M De Falla

Family Law Attorney - Walnut Creek, CA

The fee is for the "use" of the court system. It does not matter whether you're petitioner or respondent.

Robert Andrew Michael Burns

Robert Andrew Michael Burns

Family Law Attorney - San Diego, CA

Q#1: Yes, unless the forum in a Family Support Division Court or you are granted a waiver of fees and costs.

Q#2: If you want an answer from me you will not abbreviate "CSP".

Related Advice