If i am a permanent resident and i petion for my husband form I-130? MPlease le me know if my husband has to leave US?

Asked over 3 years ago - Bronx, NY

His status is a visitor as of right now and his I-194 will expire next month. Please let me know if he has to go back home?
Thank You

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes he will unless he can change his status to H-1B professional worker or L-1 intracompany transferee. The process of getting a green card through marriage to a permanent resident takes 4 years.

    However, if you become a U.S. citizen, he can get his green card without leaving the U.S.

    Please see

    This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal... more
  2. Nikiki Tavia Bogle

    Contributor Level 12
    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Yes, unless he adjusts his status to another nonimmigrant visa category or files an extension that is approved.

    If you are eligible to be a U.S. citizen, you may apply for U.S. citizenship and once approved, file petition for your husband as an immediate relative. It will take a lot less time than waiting years for a visa number to be available under your green card status.

    For more information, contact our Immigration Law Firm for a confidential consultation.

    Good luck to you.

    Immigration Legal Team
    Bogle & Chang, LLC
    Email: ntb@boglechang.com
    Phone: (800) 342-1733 ext. 101
    Website: www.immigrationlegalteam.com

  3. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Yes he will. If he falls out of status, he will not be able to adjust his status once his priority date becomes current.

    The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,787 answers this week

3,227 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,787 answers this week

3,227 attorneys answering