If I am a lawyer in NY

Asked about 1 year ago - Katonah, NY

do I still need to hire a lawyer to do my real estate closing? I'm not asking if it is advisable I'm asking if I legally am required to because I know NY requires a lawyer be used

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

7

Answered . You are not required to have a lawyer at all. You can handle it yourself but it is better to have a real estate lawyer do it.

2. Peter J Weinman

Pro

6

Answered . I did not realize NY *required* an attorney be used.. Can you cite that?

Either way, if you are a lawyer, then what's the problem? (putting aside, as you said, whether it's advisable)..

3. Matthew Scott Kam Tannenbaum

Pro

6

Answered . New York law provides that “[n]o natural person shall ask or receive, directly or indirectly, compensation . . . for preparing deeds, mortgages, assignments, discharges, leases or any other instruments affecting real estate . . . unless he has been regularly admitted to practice, as an attorney or counselor, in the courts of record in the state” (N.Y. Jud. Law § 484). New York law also prohibits voluntary associations or corporations from performing these services, although there is a narrow exception for title insurance companies (N.Y. Jud. Law §§ 495 (3, 5)).

I think this statute was enacting to prevent unlic. practice of law. I do not believe that anyone would be prosecuted for representing themselves in a real estate transaction, either as a seller or a buyer. I am sure there are numerous instances thruout NYS where experienced non attorney investors represent themselves. However in your situation even if you are an attorney, if you are not experienced in RE transactions it is best to hire an attorney who specializes in this type of work. Good luck and call me in yo u would like a free consultation. i do cover westchester county as well as Long island

4. Anthony A. Ferrante

Pro

5

Answered . There is no rule or law that you would be violating if you decided to do the closing yourself. It seems that you are already aware that it would be advisable to hire a real estate lawyer, so I will keep this short, but you may regret not spending the money now if a problem were to arise in the future. Attorneys generally do not charge a bank-breaking sum for these closings either.

Good luck either way!

5. Yefim Rubinov

5

Answered . it is always to have a real estate lawyer to help you with a closing.

6. Steven Warren Smollens

5

Answered . Dear New York Attorney:

By now you must feel overwhelmed with the responses, and you surely now realize, that it is not recommended that you act as your own attorney, especially, since you seem unfamiliar with the process of a real estate closing.

7. William Emil Cassara

Pro

6

Answered . I am not a NY lawyer, but when I bought my home here in GA, I obtained counsel even though I wasn't required to do so.

8. Louis Lawrence Sternberg

Pro

4

Answered . A lawyer is not required but handing one's own closing is not advisable.

9. James D. Kiley

Pro

4

Answered . Its not legally required to have a lawyer. Have fun.