If I am a benificiary of a will with a trust set up. Do I have the right to request a copy of the will and copy of bank statemen

Lafayette, IN |

The executer is hard to get along with and it is difficult to get any information from her. She is not keeping anyone informed about what she has spent . She also doesn't involve anyone else in discions that she makes. Can she do that?

Well, if she is trustee she does not have to involve anyone else, but you are entitled to copies of the documents you are requesting to determine if things have been handled properly. If the will was probated the will is likely on file in the county probate office where the deceased resided at death. You should consider reviewing the situation with your own lawyer to determine your rights to information and what steps, if any, you want to take in court if you don't get a good answer.

This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is informational in nature only. This attorney may not be licensed in the jurisdiction which you have a question about so the answer could be only general in nature.

I am sorry to hear about your problem. You can have a local estate lawyer investigate the situation. Avvo has an excellent "find a lawyer" tool to locate a top-rated attorney near you who offers a free consultation.

Please CLICK the button if I HELPED or was BEST ANSWER. No attorney-client relationship is established and responses here are general first impressions. You should consult with a lawyer about your problems. More about our firm is located at

If the estate is "unsupervised administration" then she can take many actions without court approval, let alone the approval of all other devisees/beneficiaries. However, you have every right to (1) demand an accounting from her as executor; (2) demand an accounting from her as Trustee; and (3) convert the estate administration to SUPERVISED at any time. Good luck.

veRONIca jarnagin, atty, pc 317-253-7664 provides this response as general guidance and not specific legal advice. If you wish to receive specific legal advice for your situation, please call to schedule an appointment.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates