If I am a benificiary of a will with a trust set up. Do I have the right to request a copy of the will and copy of bank statemen

Asked 9 months ago - Lafayette, IN

The executer is hard to get along with and it is difficult to get any information from her. She is not keeping anyone informed about what she has spent . She also doesn't involve anyone else in discions that she makes. Can she do that?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Steven M Zelinger


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Well, if she is trustee she does not have to involve anyone else, but you are entitled to copies of the documents you are requesting to determine if things have been handled properly. If the will was probated the will is likely on file in the county probate office where the deceased resided at death. You should consider reviewing the situation with your own lawyer to determine your rights to information and what steps, if any, you want to take in court if you don't get a good answer.

    This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is... more
  2. Veronica L. Jarnagin

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . If the estate is "unsupervised administration" then she can take many actions without court approval, let alone the approval of all other devisees/beneficiaries. However, you have every right to (1) demand an accounting from her as executor; (2) demand an accounting from her as Trustee; and (3) convert the estate administration to SUPERVISED at any time. Good luck.

    veRONIca jarnagin, atty, pc 317-253-7664 provides this response as general guidance and not specific legal... more
  3. John Michael Phillips

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . I am sorry to hear about your problem. You can have a local estate lawyer investigate the situation. Avvo has an excellent "find a lawyer" tool to locate a top-rated attorney near you who offers a free consultation.

    Please CLICK the button if I HELPED or was BEST ANSWER. No attorney-client relationship is established and... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,353 answers this week

3,157 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,353 answers this week

3,157 attorneys answering