Skip to main content

If i am 18 years old and have an upincoming juvinale court date in august, what are the courts options for proceding w/ my case?

Ashland, KY |

i have a 4th degree assult charge and have been in these courts for more then two years.

Attorney Answers 2


First things first -- retain counsel to assist you. I presume that because you are pointing out that you are now 18, the delinquent act with which you are charged occured when you were 17 years old. Your attorney will be able to let you know how you will be treated.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree




I just wasnt sure if they were able to keep me in juvinale courts when i was no longer juvinale? or does that very by state?

Daniel Nelson Deasy

Daniel Nelson Deasy


It varies by state. In Colorado, they can keep you in the juvenile court for acts committed as a minor but they have to sentence you as if you are an adult -- meaning you are usually facing probation! Check on Google to figure that out! Good luck.


Assault 4, is a class A misdemeanor and carries a penalty of up to 365 days in jail and/or a fine of up to $500.00 plus court costs of about $135.00 AS AN ADULT. I assume from your post you were a juvenile when charged. I further assume you have retained a criminal defense attorney in your area, if not, do so ASAP. The prosecutor will review the facts with the police and the prosecuting witness(s), review your prior juvenile court contacts/record and speak with your attorney about you side of the case. Options include informal adjustment, an admission, a sentence to serve in a juvenile facility, volunteer hours to perform, counseling, etc. depending on the facts, or a trial by the judge.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

Mark as helpful

Juvenile law topics

Recommended articles about Juvenile law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics