If I am 15 and my boyfriend is 18 but we do not have sex till I am 16 is it against the law for me to have a relationship?

Asked over 1 year ago - Richmond, KY

We have been together for 4 months and he is 3 and 1/2 years older than me and we just want to know if we are legally allowed to be together even if my parents do not approve.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Frank Mascagni III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . At age 15, you are legally a minor under KY law, and your parents have legal custody of you. You should talk to a lawyer in your area about the possibility of filing an emancipation of a monor pleading in state court.

    I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this... more
  2. Kristin M. Russell


    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Please see the below statute on Kentucky's age of consent:

    (1) Whether or not specifically stated, it is an element of every offense defined in this chapter that the sexual act was committed without consent of the victim.
    (2) Lack of consent results from:
    (a) Forcible compulsion;
    (b) Incapacity to consent; or
    (c) If the offense charged is sexual abuse, any circumstances in addition to forcible compulsion or incapacity to consent in which the victim does not expressly or impliedly acquiesce in the actor’s conduct.
    (3) A person is deemed incapable of consent when he or she is:
    (b) Mentally retarded or suffers from a mental illness;
    (c) Mentally incapacitated;
    (d) Physically helpless; or
    (e) Under the care or custody of a state or local agency pursuant to court order and the actor is employed by or working on behalf of the state or local agency.
    (4) The provisions of subsection (3)(e) of this section shall not apply to persons who are lawfully married to each other and no court order is in effect prohibiting contact between the parties.

    Ky. Rev. Stat. § 510.020 (West 2012).

    Kristin M. Russell is an attorney licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Per Avvo guidelines,... more
  3. Kevin Rindler Madison


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . In most states if you are a child (not of age to be considered a legal adult) and your boyfriend is an "adult" it certainly could be considered "statutory rape" because a "child" cannot consent to having sex. Check with a criminal defense attorney in your locale.

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,711 answers this week

2,627 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,711 answers this week

2,627 attorneys answering