If I am 15 and my boyfriend is 18 but we do not have sex till I am 16 is it against the law for me to have a relationship?

Richmond, KY |

We have been together for 4 months and he is 3 and 1/2 years older than me and we just want to know if we are legally allowed to be together even if my parents do not approve.

1. At age 15, you are legally a minor under KY law, and your parents have legal custody of you. You should talk to a lawyer in your area about the possibility of filing an emancipation of a monor pleading in state court.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

2. Please see the below statute on Kentucky's age of consent:

(1) Whether or not specifically stated, it is an element of every offense defined in this chapter that the sexual act was committed without consent of the victim.
    (2) Lack of consent results from:
    (a) Forcible compulsion;
    (b) Incapacity to consent; or
    (c) If the offense charged is sexual abuse, any circumstances in addition to forcible compulsion or incapacity to consent in which the victim does not expressly or impliedly acquiesce in the actor’s conduct.
    (3) A person is deemed incapable of consent when he or she is:
    (a) LESS THAN SIXTEEN (16) YEARS OLD;
    (b) Mentally retarded or suffers from a mental illness;
    (c) Mentally incapacitated;
    (d) Physically helpless; or
    (e) Under the care or custody of a state or local agency pursuant to court order and the actor is employed by or working on behalf of the state or local agency.
    (4) The provisions of subsection (3)(e) of this section shall not apply to persons who are lawfully married to each other and no court order is in effect prohibiting contact between the parties.

Ky. Rev. Stat. § 510.020 (West 2012).

Kristin M. Russell is an attorney licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Per Avvo guidelines, these answers are for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. This response does not create an attorney/client relationship.

3. In most states if you are a child (not of age to be considered a legal adult) and your boyfriend is an "adult" it certainly could be considered "statutory rape" because a "child" cannot consent to having sex. Check with a criminal defense attorney in your locale.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at www.kevinmadison.com and www.texassexualharassmentattorney.com. Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at http://texassexualharassmentattorney.com/blog/

Child abuse topics