If I adopt my wife's children, will the Social Security disability benefits for them paid to their biological father stop?

Asked over 1 year ago - Sunnyvale, CA

My two step-children receive money from their disabled biological father. This money is paid to him by Social Security, and he pays taxes on it and then sends it to the children's mother, my wife. If he agrees to let me adopt the children, thereby relinquishing any claim to being legally responsible for them, will the children's payments from Social Security stop?

1. Paula Brown Sinclair

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . If his parental rights are terminated, the children are no longer his dependents, and I predict the benefits will be terminated.

Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.
  2. William Kevin Hodges

Answered . I agree with Ms. Sinclair. The payments will be terminated since the child is no longer his dependent.