If I adopt my wife's children, will the Social Security disability benefits for them paid to their biological father stop?

Asked over 1 year ago - Sunnyvale, CA

My two step-children receive money from their disabled biological father. This money is paid to him by Social Security, and he pays taxes on it and then sends it to the children's mother, my wife. If he agrees to let me adopt the children, thereby relinquishing any claim to being legally responsible for them, will the children's payments from Social Security stop?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Paula Brown Sinclair

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . If his parental rights are terminated, the children are no longer his dependents, and I predict the benefits will be terminated.

    Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer.

    This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.
  2. William Kevin Hodges

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . I agree with Ms. Sinclair. The payments will be terminated since the child is no longer his dependent.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,819 answers this week

3,140 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,819 answers this week

3,140 attorneys answering