If I accuse someone of domestic violence does there have to be evidence of my injury for him to be arrested?

Asked over 2 years ago - Frankenmuth, MI

I called 911 to complain of being assaulted but there was no evidence of any injury to me. But he did have an injury. He was arrested but said he did nothing to me.

1. Timothy J. Klisz

Pro

Answered . These are often he-said she-said cases. The signs of violence are not conclusive either way. I have heard of victims harming themselves to get someone arrested. The police will often arrest both parties if they accuse each other of violence.

2. Robert C. LeBrasseur

1

Answered . No, there does not have to be evidence of injury to you. Quite a few of domestic violence crimes do not have any evidence of physical injury and are the alleged victim's word against the Defendant's word. It will be up to the jury to decide if the alleged victim is credible beyond all reasonable doubt to convict. The jury does not have to believe the Defendant because the Defendant is presumed innocent and does not have to prove anything.