If husband owes about 5-6,000 in income taxes, can government do anything against our home?

Big Stone Gap, VA |

I'm not too sure if I worded this well enough. I'm separated from my spouse for about year and four mos...I hope to be able to keep the house when, if we divorce. He had arranged to get
his hands on our retirement and spent it, and didn't pay enough taxes.He didn't file last year.
Is there a potential problem? Can they come after me for payment?The house is in both our names.I do not work, right now.I need to know what i need to watch for?
Thanks!
Ross

Yes they could lien the house for unpaid taxes. The IRS innocent spouse explanation can be found here: http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc205.html. You may need tax attorney help on this.

If you find an answer helpful please mark it as such or as the Best Answer. You have asked us to state an opinion based upon stated facts. You have not provided us with any documents, pictures, witness statements or other admissible evidence. The opinions stated are based upon general principles of law unless otherwise stated, which may or may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Controlling law is also subject to change or reversal at any time. Any such changes may be retroactive and could significantly modify the statements and opinions expressed herein. Similarly, any change in the facts and assumptions upon which this opinion is based could modify the conclusions. We opine only as to matters expressly set forth, no opinions should be inferred as to other matters or to treatment of matters not specifically addressed. This opinion represents our best judgment as to the probable outcome of the issues discussed and is not binding on the courts or upon your adversaries. We can give no assurance that an adversary would not challenge our conclusions and prevail in the courts in a manner to cause adverse consequences. With respect to some of the matters discussed in the opinion, existing legal precedent may provide very little legal guidance. Although the opinions and views expressed are based on our best interpretations of existing law and what we believe a court would probably conclude if presented with the applicable issues, we can give no assurance that our interpretations would be followed if the issues became the subject of judicial or administrative proceedings. Realization of certain benefits described is subject to the risk that someone may challenge the treatment and that a court may sustain the challenge. Because you may bear the burden of proof required to establish a fact, the opinions expressed assume the you will undertake the effort and expense to present fully the case in support of any matter that you have asserted and an opponent might challenge. None of the advice provided here may be used to avoid tax liability, interest or penalties. If you want that level of assurance you will need to allow us to perform the full opportunity to explore the facts and law applicable to your specific circumstances. I provide answers here to allow people to see the style of communication and type of analysis applied to factual statements.

The IRS can most definitely come after your home. This happens quite often because that is where many people historically speaking have some equity. As already mentioned, there may be some protection under the innocent spouse rules. If you are considering a divorce, the tax issue may be settled inconjunction with your divorce. Your divorce attorney should be able to guide you to a tax attorney if the firm you choose does not already have someone on stalf that can assist with this. I recommend you take some sort of action and get professional help as soon as practicable.

This response does not create an attorney client relationship nor should the advice be relied upon because it is not specific to your legal situation. Before you depend on legal advice, you should retain competent counsel.

I would add that liens are usually only filed on amounts over $10,000 but depending on what you don't know and the increases due to penalties and interest it certainly is probable they will place a lien in the future.

This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is informational in nature only. This attorney may not be licensed in the jurisdiction which you have a question about so the answer could be only general in nature. Visit Steve Zelinger's website: http://www.stevenzelinger.com/

I agree with all the previous answers. Just keep in mind that even if your husband is ordered to pay the tax due under your divorce decree, the IRS does not have to honor that agreement.

lscampbell@cttaxhelp.com Office number: (860) 255-7423 Website: www.cttaxhelp.com. Our reply to your question has not created an attorney-client relationship. It should not be considered legal advice. You should contact an Attorney who can give you legal advice after acquainting themselves with the specifics of your case.

Tax law topics