If husband and wife split up and wife receives a large monetary gift is it community property?

Asked over 2 years ago - Stanwood, WA

Before the seperation it was in the process to receive a large sum of money from wifes grandparents who reside in California. Wife and I live in Washington State. the money would be gifted in her name. If it is not indicated as a gift" is there another way it could become community property? We have been married for 8 years.

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

Answered . It sounds as if your wife if your spouse is going to receive a large monetary award called a gift before you formalize any separation then it is community property as opposed to a loan. If the amount is large enough or if your marital estate is financially solvent you may want to retain a local attorney. Take care and I hope that things work out.