Skip to main content

If husband & I have a voluntary separation agreement in MD & I move back to VA, do I have to come back to MD to file for divorce

Towson, MD |
Filed under: Divorce

Husband was MD resident. I was VA resident. We were married in 2007 in Italy. Lived in MD after marriage. Separated in May 2011 and have lived separate & apart since then. We signed a voluntary separation agreement in May 2011. While we were married, he constantly 'hacked' into my email accounts. This has continued during the year we've been separated. I have done all the necessary steps (many times) to change email addresses, passwords, etc but he continues. He even hacked into my iphone. A couple of days ago, all of my jewelry was stolen. Police came out. No sign of forced entry. I don't feel safe... especially, since I've learned he may be in a position of losing his job. He has anger issues. I am moving back to VA because I'm afraid of him. Will I be able to file for divorce there?

Attorney Answers 1

  1. You should be able to. Contact a VA attorney now to ask that question again before you move. Most states have a residency requirement which is usually 90 days of consecutively living in the state. I do not know what it is for VA. Then you should be able to file. You probably should get a restraining order before you move. Have you contacted the police about your jewelry?

    IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER HELPFUL PLEASE MARK IT SO. This information is provided by PEGGY M. RADDATZ, Attorney At Law as a pro bono service. YOU SHOULD CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN PERSON who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics