If he has no car insurance and got a ticket who fault is it mine or his?

Asked 4 months ago - Apache Junction, AZ

I was going north bound through the light. He was going south bound turning east bound at the light. The light turns yellow as I got through the crosswalk , he goes through the light and turns hits his breaks then he goes. I was already breaking when I hit the back right end of his car. The police gave him a ticket for the accident. Then I find out a few days later he has no car insurance.

No insurance means no driving right?

1. Carl Engstrand

11

Answered . First off, sorry this happened to you. A car crash never makes your life easier, and can be very frustrating. There are multiple obstacles to navigate following a car crash. So far, you have described some facts and given some details that we can overcome. However, they really bring more questions to my mind. First off, when did this happen? How have you been doing since? Were you hurt? Also, I'd like to know more about the type of car insurance you carry and specifically if you carry uninsured motorist coverage.

This type of case has more obstacles than a person can usually overcome on their own. I suggest you sit down with an attorney who regularly handles car accidents. The attorney should be willing to meet with you free of charge, no strings attached, and then work on a contingency. That means, the attorney will not charge you personally, but rather receive a percentage of any insurance settlement.

2. David Ian Schoen

Pro

11

Answered . The fact that he had no insurance does not factor in to whether or not he was at fault. But it sounds like from the facts that he was. If you were injured, consult with an experienced AZ personal injury attorney ASAP.

3. John Eugene Kelly

8

Answered . Just because a person does not have insurance does not mean that person is at fault. The other driver will be ticketed for having no proof of financial responsibility. However, you will need to file an uninsured motorist claim with your auto insurance carrier. They then will pursue a subrogation claim against the non-insured driver. However, you should seek counsel with an experienced personal injury attorney to assist you. Do not try to handle this matter on your own.

John E. Kelly, Esq.
    1 East Washington Street, Suite 500
    Phoenix, Arizona 85004
    (602) 283-4122
    jkphoenixpersonalinjuryattorney.com

4. L. Vincent Ramunno

8

Answered . Ultimately fault is up to a jury or judge to decide, but merely having no license does not make the other person automatically at fault

Pro

6

Answered . If you sustained injuries and have UM coverage, which everybody should have, a local personal injury lawyer can go after your UM.

6. John F Medler Jr

Pro

5

Answered . Whether or not he had insurance is not relevant to whether he was at fault. However, if he had no insurance, and he was at fault, you can sue your own insurance company under the Uninsured Motorist Provisions. UM covers two scenarios: (1) when an unknown, phantom driver commits negligence and hits you with his car; and (2) when a known driver without insurance hits you with his car. So get an experienced personal injury attorney in your area and go after that UM coverage.

7. Thomas Lane Hooton

4

Answered . If you were injured then hire a personal injury TTORNEY.

8. Brandy Marie Kumfer

3

Answered . Fault and insurance are two different things. If he received a ticket, it is likely the officer found him to be at-fault based on the information provided to him at the scene. If he is uninsured, your only option would be to go after him personally (meaning suing him and trying to collected from his assets/property, etc.), or to make a claim against your own insurance under the uninsured policy provision - provide you have that coverage. You should seek legal advice regarding what your options especially if you were injured.