If grandparents have co-guardianship of a minor. Does that mean that they have full custody?

Jacksonville, FL |

My son and his wife bascially signed over their rights in my eyes but im still not sure what the definition of co-guardianship of a minor means. The minor lives with us and we provide him with every necessity that he needs. Parents have not really had much to do with him in the short years since he was born. Went to court and the judge appointed me and my husband as co-guardians. What exactly are my legal rights as co-guardian to the minor?

1. Based on the information you gave, it sounds like the grandparents are the appointed guardians of the child and thereby have full custody and control of the child.

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.

2. From what you have stated, you have an order that appoints you as guardians of the minor. i would say you have full custody.

3. Under FL Stat. 744.102 the person who is delegated all the delegated rights of the ward ( child in this case) is a Guardian. Since you and your husband had been appointed “co- guardian” you both joint have full control over the child until the guardianship is terminated.
    If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below. Thank you!
    My comments are not intended to establish an attorney-client relationship, are not confidential, and are not intended to constitute legal advice. Proper legal advice can only be given by an attorney who agrees to represent you, who reviews the facts of your specific case, who does not have a conflict of interest preventing the representation, and who is licensed as an attorney in the state where the law applies.

Dan W. Armstrong, Attorney
    Law Offices of Dan W. Armstrong, P.A.
    822 A1A North, Suite 303
    Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32082
    (O) 904.280.0058, (F) 904.280.0109
    http://www.danarmstrong.com