If ex has not filed taxes in 10 years so that refunds will not be intercepted for past child support- should I report him to IRS

Asked almost 2 years ago - Pomona, CA

Is there a possibility that if they go after him, and he files for those ten years, that I will get that money? He admitted in court papers that he hasn't filed since '02, but he obviously has worked because da was garnishing wages for child support.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 4

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You'd need to know whether he was required to file each year. If he would have gotten a refund each year, the IRS probably won't care if he didn't file. They only care if he would have owed, but as far as I know the IRS doesn't pursue taxpayers just to intercept past child support.

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. Stephen Pearcy is licensed to practice law in... more
  2. 4

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I agree with the other attorney and note that if a refund is older than three years old it is past the statute of limitations and the IRS will not refund the money period. Therefore, at best you could get three years back if they did it in the first place.

    H. Daniel Lively, Esq., LL.M., CPA Certified Tax Specialist, CA Board of Legal Specialization dlively@... more
  3. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Wages or 1099 Independent Contractor Payments? If you combine the court testimony of no filing since 02 with the earlier employee status, I agree that IRS may or may not be losing money. If he claimed 20 exemptions so as to have no withholding or if he was an independent contractor and paid nothing he could be in the tax evasion zone.

    Is it that you want him in prison? Does he see the child(ren)? Remember, if he is convicted, he might be sent to the east coast to do his time; are you ready to go there?

    Hire an attorney before you act. You are talking about doing a dangerous thing.

    Curt Harrington
    Certified Tax Specialist -- State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization (J.D.; LL.M.-Tax)
    Electrical(M.S.E.E.)-Chemical(M.S.Ch.E)(B.S. Chemistry)-Mechanical Patent (Intellectual Property) Attorney & MBA (562) 594-9784 --- http://patentax.com
    Bio: http://patentax.com/curt/index.html
    Library: http://patentax.com/library/

    Curt Harrington Patent & Tax Law Attorney Certified Tax Specialist by the California Board of Legal... more

Related Topics

Child support

Child support is a payment made from one parent to another parent (usually from non-custodial to custodial), to help ensure the child's financial needs are met.

Statute of limitations of child support

Not all states set a statute of limitations on child support. In those that do, the deadline to request support varies widely, lasting 20 years in some states.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,168 answers this week

3,640 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,168 answers this week

3,640 attorneys answering