Skip to main content

If DOMA is repealed will I be able to dissolve my NH same-sex marriage from TX?

College Station, TX |
Filed under: Divorce

5 years ago I got married in NH to a girl. We ended up not working out as most 18 year Ole's in relationships don't. 5 years down the road, DOMA and Prop 8 pending repeal, and I want to finally get this smudge mark off my mind. I live in Texas now, I have a very established life here so moving to NH is not really an option. If DOMA does get repealed does that mean I can get my marriage dissolved without too extreme of a hassle?
--In addition, we don't have children, property or money that needs to be settled. I want nothing from her. She hasn't been helpful in getting this dissolved and I doubt she will be in the future.

--She currently resides in MA.

Attorney Answers 2

  1. why not hire a NH attorney and get divorced there now if she still lives there? You can still live in Texas and get divorced in NH since she is a resident there.

    IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.

  2. Your question should be posted in family law area to gain access to attorneys who deal with this type of issue.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics