Skip to main content

If dealer warranty is expired on used car, but verbal repair commitments were not meant by dealer do i have case against them?

Hollywood, FL |
Filed under: Used cars Car repairs

purchased used BMW from a toyota dealership in florida 2 months ago. The lights seemed to be missing and back emblem was missing. the dealer in a VERBAL commitment offered to repair both pieces but still have not and now car is over heating... do i have a case against them to fix all the problems now since our contract on their end has not been fulfilled?

Attorney Answers 3


Hard to say without reading all your sales papers and going through the whole story with you. Rebecca Covey and Bob Murphy are in the Ft Lauderdale area and they know Florida car sales law extremely well. Angelo Marino is there also and Florida has lots of great Consumer Protection Lawyers. You can find their contact info at Call one and go over it so you can be sure what your state law says your rights are.

This answer is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. The law in your state may differ and your best answer will always come from a local attorney that you meet with privately. For a Free Online 50 State National List of Consumer Law Lawyers, click on this link ( and find one near you

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Mr. Burdge is correct, a through review of your purchase paperwork is required and Mr. Murphy and Ms. Covey are well versed in this area of the law. The dealer's promise to repair certain items is considered an express warranty and need not be in writing; the dealer should be required to perform under this warraty. Whether you can require the dealer to also warrant an overheating condition that arose later will depend on additional facts.

Disclaimer: This response is based solely upon the limited information provided in your question; additional facts may be necessary and may lead to a different response. The attorney responding to this question is licensed only in Florida and this response is intended for informational purpose only and not intended as legal advice in your particular state. Additionally, the response is not intended to create an attorney client relationship.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Mr. Bolliger is modest as he too is an excellent consumer protection atty. Find him or Dana Manner or any of the other fine consumer protection attorneys noted here:

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Lemon law topics

Recommended articles about Lemon law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics