If convicted of a DUI in Georgia, are there any limitations about leaving the country? If so, what is the length of time?

Asked about 2 years ago - Atlanta, GA

I will be traveling to Canada a few days after my court date. I wanted to make sure I will not run into any problems.

1. Michael Jason Rhoades

7

Answered . If you are convicted and placed on probation, you will have to seek the permission of your probation officer to travel. If they don't give you permission and you leave anyway, they can take a warrant out for you and begin revocation proceedings.
    Why are you pleading to DUI without a fight?

2. Kevin Aaron Chastine

Pro

6

Answered . As I understand it, a DUI can make it very difficult to enter Canada specifically, as it is considered a more serious charge there. Typically, you should be able to travel while on probation if you notify your probation officer, but Canada may be a problem. Also, it sounds like this is your first court date coming up? If so, you shouldn't assume that the case will be resolved on that date. Typically we would enter a "not guilty" plea as an initial matter and that allows time to investigate the case and negotiate with the prosecutor for a possible reduction. Give us a call if you would like to discuss your case further at no charge-- 404-987-0245 and best wishes to you.

3. Justin Spizman

Pro

2

Answered . If you are convicted of a DUI in Georgia, you will probably not be able to obtain entrance to Canada.

4. Elmer H. Young III

2

Answered . Whoa! You might want to reconsider your plans including getting permission from your P.O. As for Canada, you cannot automatically cross over into that country with a DUI conviction. Just recently, Canada relaxed the restrictions allowing a first time offender a one-time waiver which must be applied for prior to entry. I would contact a Canadian DUI lawyer or at least review the countries DMV-type website. This is new law in Canada, so it should be readily available on the web.

5. George F. Mccranie IV

Pro

1

Answered . I have not had a Client who was a Canadian Citizen ever have a problem in returning to, or entering the U.S. because of a single DUI conviction. However, there may be some additional questioning at the border and the possibility of having to execute some additional paperwork.

If you are NOT a Canadian citizen you may have problems traveling from the U.S. to Canada. There have been reports of entire tour groups being refused entry into Canada because a member of the tour was convicted of a DUI. My Clients have not experienced this problem however, it is my understanding that Canada has now instituted a waiver procedure to address this problem. You should contact the appropriate U.S. or Canadian governmental agencies for clarification of this issue. Good Luck!!