If citizen spouse refuses to pay fees for CR g.c. conditions to be removed is this illegal

Asked over 1 year ago - Portland, OR

If the citizen spouse does not wish to have the CR green card holder conditions removed, (due to marital abuse, infidelity, etc.) and thereby does not pay the necessary fees, can legal action be taken against that spouse? Also, if CR spouse cannot afford legal representation to remove conditions, can free legal aid be provided? If the CR spouse uses a waiver, are fees still payable to be able to remove the conditions?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alena Shautsova


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . You probably will have to file on your own. There is no provision in law that requires the government to provide you with a free immigration lawyer, but you can check with local bar associations, and see if they can help you.

    Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may... more
  2. Dean P Murray

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If they refuse to file to remove your conditions, there are ways in which you can petition on your own. You should consult an immigration lawyer. Many of us offer consultations at little or no charge. Good luck.
    Dean P. Murray
    The Murray Law Firm
    560 Sylvan Avenue
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
    T: (201)875-2600
    F: (201)549-8700

    Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely... more
  3. Akanksha Kalra

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . The person filing a petition to remove conditions on residency has to pay the USCIS filing fee. You may file this on your own or retain an attorney in this case but no free legal aid may be available, unless you find a local community organization who provides assistance in such matters.

    Disclaimer: The information provided here is generalized and should not be relied upon as legal advice. This... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,277 answers this week

3,074 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,277 answers this week

3,074 attorneys answering