If child support is awarded and then the resipiant passes away. does the child support stop?

Asked about 1 year ago - Los Alamitos, CA

i was orded to pay child support and then the person that was awarded the claim passes away. do i still have to pay child support

1. Gregory Paul Benton

5

Answered . It depends on who the primary care giver is. Also, if you and your ex had been awarded joint legal custody, you are now the physical care giver of the child. If another party becomes the care giver, then that party could possible ask for child support. But, that other party would need court authority to act on behalf of the child.

2. Charles Adam Shultz

4

Answered . I'm assuming you are saying the mother died but the child is still living. If so, the support would be paid to the guardian aPpointed for the child if its not you.

3. Stephen Scott Pearcy

3

Answered . I agree with the other two answers. And since the support is for the benefit of the child, not the mother, it's still going to be required until the order is revised.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now